Friends, I’ve been away from this space for a while and much longer than I would have liked but as you know, life happens. I’ve finally managed to get a recipe together for you, this Spiced Loaf Cake with a Sticky Maple Glaze. It’s sweet, warming and perfect with a hot mug of tea. Cozy and full of holiday comfort and flavour.
But first, I have some exciting news.
I’m ecstatic to share that we’re expecting a baby in February. It has been an eventful 29 weeks, a whirlwind of a time that has kept us on our tippy toes, but thankfully we’ve made it this far and we are elated. This whole experience has been life changing in so many ways and I’m in awe of the miracle that it truly is to be able to carry and grow a life inside of me. This has also been a lesson in relinquinshing control, having faith in the process as nature intended it and a great reminder of the importance and power of positive visualization. We’re grateful for each passing day, week and milestone and while we’re trying not to think too far ahead into the future, the build up to becoming someone’s parents makes that a bit challenging.
We’ve embarked on the adventure of a lifetime and there’s so much to look forward to. It’s exciting and can also feel a bit overwhelming at times. As ready as we are to dive in head first and care for this little human with all our hearts, I question whether ANYONE can ever truly be ready for such an immense responsibility. It’s a crazy world out there. How do you protect them from all that craziness? Are we capable of allowing this little being to blossom and grow into the person they are meant to be without pressure and expectations while instilling the right values? It feels like such a monumental task but I couldn’t have asked for a better partner in crime. Hubby has been my knight in shinning armour throughout this whole process and my pilar of strength and I’m so blessed to be on this journey with him by my side.
Now, on to this vegan oil free and refined sugar free spiced loaf cake which is packed with mashed bananas and homemade apple sauce, chopped walnuts and an optional but highly recommended maple syrup glaze that’s infused with ginger and brightened up with the juice and zest of a clementine. The cake is spiced with ground cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and nutmeg making it a perfect treat for the holiday season. Especially with a cup of hot tea cuddled up under warm blankets with a good book in hand or a cheerful Christmas movie and your lover by your side.
Spice Loaf Cake with Sticky Maple Glaze
Recipe & Photography by Nissrine @ Harmony à la Carte.
This vegan, oil free, refined sugar free Spiced Loaf Cake with a Sticky Maple Glaze is sweet, warming and perfect with a hot mug of tea. Cozy and full of holiday comfort and spiced with the flavours of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and nutmeg. It’s made with whole spelt flour and rendered perfectly fluffy and moist with fruit purée and nut butter.
Dry Cake Ingredients:
- 2 C Whole Spelt Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 Tsp Ground Ginger Spice
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon Spice
- 1 Tsp Ground Cardamom Spice
- 1/2 Tsp Pure Bourbon Vanilla Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Nutmeg Spice
- 1/4 Tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1/3 C Walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
Wet Cake Ingredients:
- 2 Medium Bananas, mashed (about 1/2 c heaping)
- 1/2 C Homemade Apple Sauce
- 1/4 C + 2 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/4 C Hazelnut Butter
- 1/4 C Plain Rice Milk
- 1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 C Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Ginger Spice
- Juice & Zest of 1 Clementine
- 1/2 Tsp Arrowroot Powder
- Preheat oven to 180 C and grease a loaf pan with coconut oil (for oil free, line the pan with parchment paper.
- Mix all dry cake ingredients together in a large mixing bowl, except for the walnuts.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine all wet cake ingredients, except for the apple cider vinegar.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix to combine until fully incorporated. Fold in chopped walnuts and mix in apple cider vinegar.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and tap the pan on the counter a few times to eliminate air bubbles. Loaf pan should be about 3/4 full.
- Bake the loaf on the center rack for about 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Note: you may need to adjust baking time based on the size of your loaf pan or your oven temperature, as they tend to vary. If you are unsure, be sure to check on the cake after 35 minutes to test for doneness with a toothpick and determine how much longer you need to bake it for.
- Remove loaf from the oven and let cool for about 15 minutes before removing it from the pan. Then let it cool further on a baking rack.
- While cake is cooling, prepare the glaze by combining the maple syrup, ground ginger and clementine zest in a small pot.
- Mix clementine juice and arrowroot powder until smooth and free of clumps and then pour over the maple syrup mixture in the pot and whisk together until fully combined.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer and reduce for about 10 minutes until it has thickened into a glaze.
- Pour glaze over the loaf and let cool completely before slicing and serving.