Summers are for salads and the possibilities are endless. We’ve been whipping up some delicious concoctions for our meals and I can’t wait to share all my favourites with you.
This brown basmati rice salad makes a great main course. The rice is cooked with a bit of back quinoa and makes a beautiful canvas for your favourite vegetables. It’s easy to personalize and if you make enough rice it’s great for leftovers the next day, and that’s just what we do. I make up a batch of quinoa speckled brown basmati rice and slice up whatever vegetables are in the fridge. Everyone adds the vegetables they like in the proportions they like, we top it with our favourite protein source, which in my case is cooked beans or lentils, then we toss it with a simple dressing which can be anything from a simple extra virgin olive oil and vinegar drizzle to something a little more elaborate. For today’s post I’ve made a tangy miso dressing and provided a “recipe” for the salad, but please feel free to customize it to your liking.
Brown Basmati Rice Salad with Tangy Miso Dressing
Recipe & Photography by Nissrine @ Harmony à la Carte
This quinoa speckled brown basmati rice salad is a complete meal in a bowl or a wonderful side dish for warm summer days or evenings, backyard BBQ’s, summer party potlucks or picnics. Prepare the rice and dressing up to two days in advance, but slice the vegetables and toss the salad just before serving for optimal freshness and to guarantee crispness.
Tangy Miso Dressing
- 2 Tbsp Shiro Miso (aka white or mild miso)
- 2 Lemon, juiced
- 2 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 8 Tsp Tamari
Makes about 1/3 cup of dressing. Store unused portion in the refrigerator in an air tight glass jar for up to 5 days.
Quinoa Speckled Brown Basmati Rice
- 3/4 C Brown Basmati Rice
- 1/4 C Black Quinoa, soaked & rinsed
- 1 1/2 C Filtered Water
- 1/4 Tsp Fine Sea Salt or Herbamare
- 1-2 Cucumbers, thinly sliced into triangles
- 1-2 Carrots, shaved into discs with a mandolin
- A Bunch of Baby Spinach, stems removed (about 1 C tightly packed)
- 1/2 Red Onion, shaved with a mandolin
- 1 C Cherry or Grape Tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/3 C Chickpeas, cooked
Feel free to use whatever combination of vegetables you have on hand. Red and yellow peppers would be great here, as would shaved fennel and radishes.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Combine rice, quinoa and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, season, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed. Transfer to a dish abd place in the refrigerator or freezer to cool completely.
- Wash, chop and prepare the vegetables.
- Once the rice has cooled, toss with desired amount of dressing and your choice of vegetables (except tomatoes) and chickpeas. Transfer to serving bowls or dishes, top with tomatoes and serve.
- Otherwise, for personalized salad bowls, leave the rice, dressing and all the toppings separate and allow each person to make up their own salad bowls with their preferred combination and proportion of vegetables and dressing.