I make a lot if soups around these parts, especially in the cooler months. Soups are a great way to get your daily intake of vegetables and nutrients and blended soups are particular great for hiding vegetables from those veg phobes.
I’ve personally loved vegetables my whole life and there are few I don’t enjoy eating, but I know that’s not the case for many people, Hubby being a case in point. Until relatively recently, he was hesitant to eat many vegetable varieties, so I got into the habit of blending soups since he seemed to enjoy the soup that way regardless of the vegetable I used. That said, he has come a long way and his palette has grown to appreciate more plants.
Broccoli and Kale, two of my favourite vegetables have grown on Hubby and this Creamy Broccoli and Kale Soup has become part of our weekly repertoire. It’s so easy and quick to prepare after a long day of work and really hits the spot.
This is the ultimate nutrient dense soup. It’s packed with the goodness of broccoli, kale, almonds and sunflower seeds, giving you a mega dose of cruciferous vegetables and leafy greens.
Both broccoli and kale have trace amounts of practically every vitamin and mineral and both are particularly rich in Vitamins A, K, and C as well as calcium and iron. Broccoli is also a particulary good source of folate and many of the group B complex vitamins.
I use Herbamare to season it up, which is a seasoning mixture made of sea salt, herbs, vegetables and kelp. It has great flavour so you don’t have to use additional salt which is fantastic. If you can’t find it, feel free to use your favourite mixed herb seasoning, sea salt and ground black pepper.
Creamy Broccoli & Kale Soup
Recipe & Photography by Nissrine @ Harmony à la Carte
This creamy nutrient dense soup is loaded with the goodness broccoli, tuscan kale, almonds, and sunflower seeds. It’s packed with vitamins and minerals and warms you from the inside out.
- 1 Head Broccoli (flortes, stalks and leaves included, about 300 g)
- 6-8 Stalks Tuscan Kale, ribs removed (about 4 cups or 90 g)
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Clove Garlic
- Small knob of coconut oil, water or broth to sautée the onions.
- Pinch Fine Sea Salt (to sweat the onions)
- 3 C Filtered Water
- 1/4 C Blanched Almonds, ground into flour (or ground sunflower seeds for nut free)
- 1/4 C Sunflower Seeds, ground into a fine flour (or more ground almonds)
- 1/4 – 1/2 Tsp Seasoning (I used a little more than a 1/4 Tsp Herbamare, but if you can’t find it, just use your favourite herb mixture and/or Sea Salt and/or Ground Black Pepper to taste)
- Sautee onions with oil/water/broth and sea salt, until translucent, about 2-3min
- Add garlic and sautee for another 2 minutes
- Add broccoli and stir to coat the broccoli with the onion and garlic mixture
- Add water and cook for 5-7 minutes
- Add kale and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes until both broccoli and kale are tender
- Remove from heat and puree with a hand blender to break down all broccoli and kale
- At this point, the soup will be a bit on the watery side, and two shades of green, medium green with flecks of dark green.
- Stir in ground almonds/almond meal and ground sunflower seeds, and puree with a hand blender to emulsify and thicken the liquid to a creamy consistency. The colour will change slightly to a more uniform shade of milky green
- Season to taste with your favourite dried herb mixture, sea salt and ground black pepper or Herbamare.
- Simmer for 10 minutes before serving.