Sometime last year, I made these delicious Date & Walnut Snowballs for a dinner with our close friends, our favourite Italian-American Couple, as we like to refer to them. I had made some Thumbprint Cookies the day before, but I wanted to make an additional extra sweet after dinner treat for our guests. The only issue is that I didn’t have a lot of time to spend baking and preparing. A quick rummage through my pantry left me with 5 ingredients in hand that were perfect for a sugar-free, vegan, raw concoction: dates, walnuts, and unsweetened shredded coconut. That my friends is how Date & Walnut Snowballs were born. Perfect for a guilt free, delectable sweet treat.
As delicious as they were, I never made them again as hubby is not a fan of dates and I have been trying to avoid both dates and coconut on the advice of my macrobiotic counselor as they are considered to be too Yin, could aggravate certain conditions, and are typically on the list of foods to avoid or use sparingly in a macrobiotic practice. On that note, if you’re following a strict macrobiotic healing diet, these are not likely the treat for you. If however, you’re in good health and in the mood for something sweet, feel free to indulge, in moderation of course. In my specific case, I figure once a year can’t hurt 😉
All of that said, I had almost forgotten about them until today, when half of our Favourite Italian-American Couple came over for lunch. Since she is an extreme foodie and has her very own blog, Flirty Foodie, we naturally found ourselves talking about food, as we ate food. Typical food bloggers 😉
In our discussion, Flirty Foodie said “you should make your date balls for your blog”, and my response “what a great idea”.
So without further ado, I present you Date & Walnut Snowballs: refined sugar- free, vegan and deliciously sweet, but best of all they contain 5 ingredients and are quick and easy to make.
Makes 12 Bite Size Snowballs
- 1/2 C Pitted Dates
- 1/2 C Walnuts
- 1/4 Tsp Vanilla Bean Scrapings
- 2 Tbsp Filtered or Bottled Water
- 1/4 C Unsweetened Shredded Coconut (for mixture) + more for rolling (about 1/4 cup)
- Whiz all the ingredients together in a food processor until well combined and you have a homogenous mixture resembling a paste.
- With your hands or a mellon baller, form small bite size snowballs and roll in the shredded coconut to coat.
- Be careful not to eat them all in the process (I ate two :-), but in my defense one was for the benefit of the photo above, and then I quickly packed the rest in a container and hid them in the refrigerator so I can share them with others tomorrow).
Enjoy and share with others!